Thursday 6 March 2014

On why I am doing any of this....

Why am I doing these challenges? Writing this blog? Preparing to harass people for money? Because my friend James Owens asked me to. And why did he do this? Because James is an amazing man who founded and runs an incredible charity called The World is Just a Book Away. He opens libraries in Indonesia and Mexico, often attached to existing schools, for children who have little else in their lives. Particularly in Mexico, the children face a daily struggle against poverty, crime, drugs and gangs. The libraries become safe havens as much as places of learning. In August he rang me and asked if I would lace up my running shoes and raise the money to build what will be their 7th library in Mexico, in the state of Chihuahua. I said yes, booked a place in the Barcelona Marathon, got on with life, and then life got a little carried away with itself.....by the time Craig destroyed his knee, in January, I realized Barcelona wasn’t going to happen. So I am trying to make up for this failure by setting myself weekly challenges. So far I have run over 32 miles worth of races and this weekend is going to be the scariest of challenges so far.....but that is all for another post. Back to the library.

On March 3rd, (3 days ago), WIJABA away opened their 6th library in Mexico, also in Chihuahua. Look at these little faces. 




I can’t believe I am lucky enough to be involved in something so wonderful. I hope you will want to help me! I know this would now be the perfect time to introduce a fund raising page, but we are still working on logistical and currency issues. In the meantime, have a look at the WIJABA website: www.wijaba.org. And thanks, thanks, thanks to all of you who send me messages about the blog. I really appreciate it. Please feel free to leave comments on the blog itself, don’t be shy! And keep sharing it with everyone you know! Thanks and thanks again. 

No comments:

Post a Comment